This are not the final instructions, but they will allow you to test the new server with your content and data as you have them now.
This are the steps I took for my Pentaho 5.0 to 5.1 and 5.1 to 5.2 upgrades. My installation uses MySql for hibernate, quartz and business databases and I keep the Jackrabbit repository on filesystem. The steps are the same on Linux and Windows.
First Part: Install New Software
- Make an inventory: Marketplace, Config (datasources), Reports [That's optional].
- Stop the Pentaho service.
- Rename your folder with the current version to something like ‘Pentaho5-old’.
- Create a new Pentaho5 directory an unzip your BI Apps into that folder, then:
- For Pentaho Report Designer:
- Rename the folder to report-designer as it used to be named.
- Copy your development folder from the ‘backup’.
- Also copy your DB drivers: mysql-connector-java-5.1.17.jar, ojdbc14.jar, orai18n.jar, -IT is using Oracle 9, and still works- from your backup to report-designer/lib/jdbc
- For PDI/Kettle
- Copy your development folder from the backup.
- Copy your DB drivers (mysql-connector-java-5.1.17.jar, ojdbc14.jar, orai18n.jar) from your backup to data-integration/bin.
- For the BI Server itself:
- Copy your DB drivers -other than MySql- (ojdbc14.jar, orai18n.jar) from your backup folder to biserver-ce/tomcat\lib
- For Pentaho Report Designer:
- Start your demo:
Check out what’s new at http://localhost:8080/pentaho
The Marketplace throwed several connection errors, until it was succesfull.
- Stop the server:
Second Part: Modify Configuration Files
Compare your config files before copying them, and verify they are in utf-8 format. Remember that you have the backup folder and you only need to rename it to recover to a working system.
- Delete the file
It will be created as a copy from the one you edit in point 2
mine has MySql connection strings already
Only needed changes on line 73 and 205, to comment HSQLDB from starting
At line 539 change your session-timeout. Its’ in seconds, I use: 180
The only change is to replace mysql: mysql5.hibernate.cfg.xml
- Copy jindi datasources:
- Copy MySql config for Hibernate:
datasource.driver.classname=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver datasource.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/hibernate datasource.username=hibuser datasource.password=password datasource.validation.query=SELECT 1
SampleData localhost MySql 3306 pentaho_user password select 1
And turn off the default users select combo at login page (that should be disabled in your administration console) in line 20:
- This is where I had trouble:
This didn’t work: I first ran the update on
to make shure I had de correct quartz5 prefixed tables, then created upper/lower cased tables, tables, deleted conten on different folders, and so on. But ran on errors at startup about listener problems:
- Cannot create JDBC driver of class
- PentahoSystem.ERROR_0014 org.pentaho.platform.scheduler2.quartz.EmbeddedQuartzSystemListener
with no luck on making it work.
This did work
- Dropping the quartz database and ran the SQL script at:
that creates qrtz5_ prefixed tables and also updates user permissions.
- Modified as suggested in the script:
that’s the quartz config, to:
org.quartz.jobStore.driverDelegateClass = org.quartz.impl.jdbcjobstore.StdJDBCDelegate
- [skip this one, Marcelo suggested a better option]
Edit biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions/system/systemListeners.xml and stopped Quartz Listener from runnig. That is the problem with this instructions: your system won’t be able to schedule jobs as it is: <!--bean id="quartzSystemListener" class="org.pentaho.platform.scheduler2.quartz.EmbeddedQuartzSystemListener" /-->
- Move to a backup folder -away from Pentaho- the following file:
Part Three: Move in Your Content
- Copy your content from your backup folder in
This is where I keep my .xmi, .mondrian.xml files and solution folders
- Delete and then replace your repository folder:
- Start your server. Clear your browser’s cache, reset your pentaho solutions and reload.
Part Four: Apply your Look and Feel
- Copy your images, .html , messages files with your modifications from your backup folder to the new one. There is a previous checklist.
Note: Had only to modify directly the .properties files (insted of the _es.properties) on biserver-ce/tomcat/webapps/pentaho/mantle/ (browser & home/properties) for my localized text as the i18n calls didn’t work for the left panels.
- Update your plugins on the marketplace
Now you can try your new and beautifull NEW 5.2 BI system.
Notes on the 5.2 – MySql – Quartz Problem
There are some Quartz listener/socket problems reported since v3.6, but every recomendation on forums or blogs hasn’t worked so far. The error is present on windows/ubuntu, java 32/64 bits, mysql/mariadb.
This is what I found so far:
- The problem is not IN the database as no query appears on the MySql general log, until the Pentaho shows the problem.
- The 1st error in the log makes me think of a Tomcat config problem :
Cannot create JDBC driver of class ‘com.mysql.jdbc.Driver’ for connect URL ‘jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/quartz’
- The diff in config files shows more classes on the new version, but the driver configurations remais the same